|Staircase in the Tower of London, 2009|
Some fun facts about the Tower
- The Tower of London was started in the 1080's by William the conqueror, beginning with the White Tower
- The Tower of London is actually comprised of several different towers
- The first person known to be imprisoned in the Tower was Ranulf Flambard
- Anne Boleyn was beheaded at Tower Green
- Elizabeth I was imprisoned in the Tower
- The nightly locking of the Tower begins at exactly 9:53pm every night and is marked by the Ceremony of the Keys.
- Legend dictates that should the ravens who reside at the Tower ever leave, the White Tower will crumble and a terrible disaster shall befall England.
- When Sir Henry Wyatt was imprisoned in the Tower, a cat used to visit him, bringing dead pigeons for him to eat.
|Window on one of the towers of the Tower of London|